Nutrition, basketball, frozen food focus of March savings
Whether it’s frozen food, healthy items labeled through the nutrition guide program or munchies to watch the zaniness of college hoops, your commissaries are offering deep discounts through March sales promotions.
“We’re offering promotions throughout the store, including those with the annual college basketball championship tournament theme, frozen foods, St. Patrick’s Day, and kick-off to the Procter & Gamble NFL ProCamp promotion,” said Tracie Russ, sales director for the Defense Commissary Agency. “March is a great time to shop your commissary.”
Although March is National Nutrition Month, focusing on good health is a year-round activity for commissaries as they highlight the nutritious attributes of many products throughout the store through the agency’s Nutrition Guide shelf program. The NGP uses color-coded shelf tags to feature foods which meet the nutrition attributes of low sodium, low fat, whole grain, no added sugar, good source of fiber and organics.
March’s sales promotions are made possible through the commissary’s collaboration with its industry partners – vendors, suppliers and brokers – to offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Also, the Savings Center link has more information on coupons, promotions, commissary store brands and more.
Customers are asked to check their local commissary for details on dates and times for the following promotions:
- The Perfect Fit Meals Program. In recognition of National Nutrition Month, the Perfect Fit Meals Program will showcase healthier choice, microwaveable portion-controlled meals high in protein and low in calories in display coolers at the entrance to the select stores. The following stores are participating: Travis Air Force Base and Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton in California; McChord Commissary at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington; Fort Carson, Colorado; Fort Bliss and Goodfellow Air Force Base in Texas; Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio; Fort Campbell, Kentucky; Fort Rucker, Alabama; MacDill Air Force Base, Florida; and Marine Corps Base Quantico and Fort Lee in Virginia.
- NFL ProCamp. From March 19 to April 8, select commissaries worldwide will have a chance to win an NFL ProCamp for their installation courtesy of Procter & Gamble. Winning installations will host a free, two-day football camp for military children in grades first through eighth. Campers will learn from and play with NFL players like Alejandro Villanueva (Pittsburgh Steelers), Kyle Rudolph (Minnesota Vikings), Andre Roberts (Atlanta Falcons), Jonathan Stewart (Carolina Panthers), Graham Gano (Carolina Panthers), LeGarrette Blount (Philadelphia Eagles) and Steve Smith Sr. (former Baltimore Raven) among others. Qualification for a camp is based on an installation’s commissary sales of designated P&G products and customer votes. Look for mass displays in participating commissaries.
- “Salute to Savings.” Throughout March, General Mills will be honoring military members with its “Salute to Savings” promotion, which will provide high-value, in-store coupons as well as premium giveaways worldwide.
- VIP Race Experience Sweepstakes. March 5 through May 7, Smithfield will offer its VIP Race Experience Sweepstakes to stateside commissary patrons. Patrons can win a grand prize trip to a VIP Race Experience and meet NASCAR driver Aric Almirola. One grand prize winner will receive a three-day/two-night trip for two to the stock car race of their choice in the continental United States, hotel stay, spending cash and more. To enter, authorized patrons can text “DECA” to short code 82257 on their cellphones along with a photo of their receipt from a commissary showing the purchase of any three or more Smithfield brand products in a single transaction during the sweepstakes period. In addition to the grand prize, 15 first prize winners will each receive one $50 commissary gift card. Look for in-store mass displays.
- “Serving Our Country’s Finest.” From March 5 to April 8, the J.M. Smucker Company will sponsor its 13th annual “Serving Our Country’s Finest” event for stateside commissaries. The promotion features significant savings for patrons. In observance of this promotion, Smucker’s will donate $10,000 to Fisher House for the Scholarship’s for Military Children program. Look for in-store mass displays.
“Your commissary is chillin’ in March with super cool pricing in their frozen food section and slam dunk savings throughout the store for the annual college basketball tournament and more,” Russ said. “Don’t miss these savings. Your commissary is definitely worth the trip!”